Sunday 19 December 2010

Rainbow...

It happened so fast. One moment it was there and the next moment it was all over. Just like a rainbow,
that seducts you with its colours, but soon fades away along with its painted spell.The phone, the voice, the words…they were all there, but it was all dry…all bland and gone. It had lost something, there was something missing and I only knew that I didn’t know what it was.The phone call had come in the morning, which was quite surprising, since he never called me in the mornings. It usually came in the evenings and he would have recognized my voice and I, his. But today, he didn’t and neither did I.I had just changed to go to work and was thinking about how complicated things had become in my life. Married for a year and still living alone in a posh apartment with none to keep company other than a pet cat was a thought that did nothing to cheer me. Life had become so complicated, and it had been so lonely, so desolate but simple until…
The phone bell tore into my thoughts and I absently picked the receiver up. It took some time for me to realize that it was Jack on the line. Jack, my husband, whom I had fallen in love with and married after four months of courtship. Jack also sounded preoccupied and wanted to know who it was that he was speaking to. Assured by me that it was his wife of 364 days, he started straightaway. “Hi, hmmm… I kindda have something to tell you and its very important. I hope I haven’t disturbed you.” His very reserved and formal tone was very new and quite disturbing for me. He had always been very sweet and romantic before. We had never argued or atleast, he hadn’t.
“Hi Jack, aren’t you a little too early. I suppose our wedding anniversary is tomorrow.” I tried to lighten that tension that was strangely and yet so strongly prevalent between us.
A sarcastic “ha” was the only response for this attempt at a joke. I don’t clearly remember what he said after that but there were certain words that I do remember and those that cannot be erased from my heart. Words like ’a wonderful American lady’, ‘affair’, ‘three months’ and then that word. That word that changed my whole life. ‘Divorce’ he said, very guiltily. “Do think
about it and…I’m very sorry” he concluded the last conversation we had as a married couple, as husband and wife.I sat there with the receiver in my hand. I was too shocked to place it back. I sat there and thought, remembered, and recollected all those days that had passed by. Those days when Jack and I were in love, that day when we got married, that day when he got that wonderful job offer in America, the day he had flown there and those dreary days that followed.
It all of a sudden came to me. I knew what was missing. It was the love, the trust and the faith we had in each other. He didn’t want to live with me anymore. He wanted to live with that American lady and for that he wanted a divorce. I couldn’t believe it. How could it happen? How the hell did everything happen so fast?
I felt the tears flow down, I heard my scream and then I found myself dialing that number which had become so familiar by now. Like usual it was William, Jack’s best friend who answered the phone.
“Hey Willie, I have news. Jack called up just now to say that he wanted a divorce.” I heard myself say slowly.
“What?” he was stunned.
“With that, this illegal affair will also come to an end” I said.
“Are you sure?” he was still stunned.
“Yes, positive.” I said smiling for the first time that day, “Our prayers have been answered. And now at last, without any emotional hassles with jack, we can get married!”

No comments: